CHURCH

Gringley Village March 2013 - 26

MARCH 2013

INTRODUCTION

A parish church has stood in Gringley on the Hill for a thousand years, and the present building has served our community for more than eight centuries.

The Church of St.Peter and St. Paul is used for Sunday and midweek services, as well as a cultural centre, as a setting for drama, music and exhibitions. The Church is also used by the thriving St. Peter’s Primary School in Gringley, for special occasions such as Harvest Festival and Christingle, and end of term services.

Click to go directly to the Current CHURCH CALENDAR


ACCESS TO CHURCH

We are pleased to confirm that the church is open every day from around 9.00 a.m. until dusk, and we welcome visitors to our church. 

BELL RINGING

Gringley Church has an enthusiastic and active Bell Ringing Group, which rings at Sunday services, and for special occasions.  The bells were augmented to six in January 2002, with the addition of two new bells.

For further information click HERE or please contact the Tower Captain, Ann Marie Morley on 01777 818823. Visiting ringing groups are always welcome.

CHOIR

Gringley Church has an active choir, which sings at Sunday services and on special occasions. Practices take place as required, and usually on Tuesdays. We are always keen to have new members, either for the regular Sunday choir or for special occasions – please contact the Choirmaster – Hugo Dunkley on 01777 816003, for further information. Singers from Clayworth, Everton and Mattersey are particularly welcome so that the choir is representative of all four Parishes in the group.


A BRIEF HISTORY

A Church is recorded at Gringleia super Montem in the Domesday Survey of 1066, though nothing visible now remains of that Saxon building. After the Norman Conquest much of the land in north Nottinghamshire, including the Rectory of Gringley, was given to Roger de Busli, a favourite of King William I. Roger's estate passed to Sir William de Lovetot, a great benefactor of the Church, who in 1103 founded an Augustinian Convent in Worksop, endowing it "with all lands, tithes and things belonging" to a number of churches, including Gringley. Before the appointment of our first Vicar, Augustinian "Black Canons" from Worksop Priory, risking the dangers of Sherwood Forest, travelled fifteen miles along its tracks to celebrate Mass in this remote place hemmed in by forest on three sides and treacherous swamps to the north. Then Canons' Houses were built just to the South of the Churchyard. and a small community of priests moved in to serve Gringley and neighbouring parishes. The present Church, dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul, was begun around 1180, and originally consisted of Chancel and Nave, with a squat Tower at the West end. There was probably (see below) already a chapel on the site of the present Lady Chapel, possibly for the exclusive use of the Augustinian Canons, and the building imitates some features of their Priory at Worksop.

The Augustinian Canons served this parish until 22 November 1272, when Will de Burghes was instituted as the first Vicar. From that day until 995 the parish had its own incumbent. Will and his successors were for centuries dependent for their living on tithes - a proportion of the produce from farms in the Parish - and would have sat to receive them at the Butter Cross, the shaft of which survives at the top of Cross Hill near the Churchyard gate. The Prior and Canons of Worksop remained Patrons of the Living, with the right to appoint the Vicar, until the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteen-century.

Patronage is now in the hands of the Lord Bishop of Southwell, whose Diocese includes the whole of Nottinghamshire.

The section entitled “Brief History” is an extract from “A Short Visitors Guide” written by Ivon Baker in collaboration with Ian Robinson, which made extensive use of researches of the late Leslie Ellis and Henry Minta. 

The full Henry Minta “History of St. Peter & St. Paul Church” published originally in instalments for a local newspaper between 1936 and 1939 is now available on the Gringley History Club website at www.gohistory.org.uk

ACCESS TO INFORMATION

We welcome to the church those seeking information about ancestors with connections with Gringley on the Hill.  It should be noted that the churchyard was closed in 1910, and after that date burials have taken place in the Parish Cemetery which is located on the approach to the Village from Bawtry.  All old parish records – weddings, funerals, baptisms etc – are held by Nottinghamshire Archives and the Southwell Diocese Record Office in Nottingham.  Contact telephone No. 0115 958 1634 or visit the website www.nottscc.gov.uk and follow links to the archives.


© GRINGLEY ON THE HILL VILLAGE